A historical marker will be placed on the southwest corner of 17th Street and Washington Avenue, near the site of the original WUSTL campus.
The installation at 4 p.m. April 30 will be followed by a reception at the University’s nearby Des Lee Gallery, 1627 Washington Ave.
The plaque will read:
“Washington University in St. Louis
“Site of the first Washington University Campus
“Academic Hall, Washington University’s first building completed on its original downtown campus, was located near this site when it opened for classes on September 8, 1856. The University moved to its current location on the western edge of Forest Park in 1905.
“Installed on the occasion of the University’s Sesquicentennial celebration during the 2003-2004 academic year.
“Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton”
Comments and respectful dialogue are encouraged, but content will be moderated. Please, no personal attacks, obscenity or profanity, selling of commercial products, or endorsements of political candidates or positions. We reserve the right to remove any inappropriate comments. We also cannot address individual medical concerns or provide medical advice in this forum.