Glass named student health director

Al Glass, M.D., has been named director of the Student Health and Counseling Center. He began his duties Jan. 1.

Glass previously spent nearly six years as associate medical director at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

Al Glass
Al Glass

“My intention in this new position is to be totally devoted to college health as a specialty, as I was at Miami,” Glass said. “I view college health as a field, just like neurology or pediatrics.

“It has its own unique challenges and rewards, but the most important thing about college health is to stay student-focused. They need to be at the center of everything I do, and I will strive to make decisions based on that.”

Glass earned a bachelor’s degree in biology from the University of Minnesota, where he also earned a medical degree in 1982. He served as a pediatric resident at Children’s Hospital in Cincinnati before working in the emergency department at Bethesda Hospital, also in Cincinnati, for 13 years.

He accepted a position in college health at Miami University in 1998 and was promoted to associate director after two years.

He is on the board of directors of the American College Health Association.