Three European jazz combos will launch the University’s fall Jazz at Holmes Series with a pair of free Thursday-evening performances Sept. 25 and Oct. 2.
Sicilian pianist Antonio Figura and his trio will join Tuscan saxophonist Nico Gori and his quartet for a joint appearance Sept. 25. Both groups — which are based in Florence — employ their unique cultural heritages as the basis for jazz improvisations.
Also featured that evening will be St. Louis bassist Tom Kennedy.
On Oct. 2, saxophonist Dick de Graaf and his group, who are from the Netherlands, will perform.
Jazz at Holmes concerts are free and open to the public and take place from 8-10 p.m. in Holmes Lounge in Ridgley Hall.
Other performances will be:
• Oct. 9: Open Strings, with guitarist Steve Schenkel;
• Oct. 16: The Paul DeMarinis Quartet;
• Oct. 30: The Dave Stone Trio with Eric Markowitz;
• Nov. 6: The Ptah Williams Group; and
• Nov. 20: Pianist Eddie Fritz & His Quartet, featuring saxophonist Willie Akin.
The series is sponsored by the College of Arts & Sciences, the Department of Music in Arts & Sciences and Student Union.
For more information, call 935-4841.