Mark Smith named director of Career Center

Mark W. Smith, J.D., has been named director of The Career Center, announced James E. Mc-Leod, vice chancellor for students and dean of the College of Arts & Sciences.

Smith, currently the associate dean for students in the School of Law, will begin his new position Jan. 1.

“I am very excited about this new opportunity,” Smith said. “I have met with most of the people in The Career Center and am very impressed with everyone there.

“It is very clear to me that the University has made The Career Center a focus point. I look forward to the challenge.”

At the law school, Smith taught legal research and writing, business law and pre-trial procedure courses.

Before joining the University he was an attorney at the international law firm of Bryan Cave in St. Louis. He practiced primarily in the labor and employment area, with an emphasis on federal court litigation. Smith also has extensive experience with general corporate mergers and acquisitions and estate planning.

In 1999, Missouri Gov. Mel Carnahan appointed Smith to the St. Louis Board of Police Commissioners, where he served as president.

Smith earned an undergraduate degree from Harvard University in 1982 and a law degree from WUSTL in 1986.