H. Richard Duhme Jr., professor emeritus of art and former head of the sculpture major area, died Thursday, March 24, 2005, at St. Luke’s Hospital in Chesterfield, Mo., after a long illness. He was 90.
Born in St. Louis, Duhme attended John Burroughs School and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts before coming to Washington University in 1947 as an instructor in sculpture.
In 1953, he earned a bachelor of fine arts (a relatively new degree at the time) from Washington University and in 1964 was named assistant professor of sculpture. The following year, he was promoted to associate professor and became full professor in 1971. He was named emeritus in 1982.
On campus, Duhme is perhaps best known for his large bronze sculpture Fighting Bears, located near the east entrance to the Athletic Complex.
Other St. Louis-area works include sculptures for the Missouri Botanical Garden; Saint Louis Priory School in Creve Coeur, Mo.; and the Carondelet Building in Clayton.
Other major commissions include Lion Cubs, a fountain in Mycenae, Greece; and St. Martin and the Beggar at the Episcopal Cathedral of St. John in Erie, Pa., as well as portrait busts of Chancellor Emeritus William H. Danforth and George Kassabaum, among many others.
A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. April 9 at the First Congregational Church of St. Louis, 6501 Wydown Blvd.
Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of the donor’s choice.
Duhme is survived by his wife, Carol; a son, David; a daughter, Ann Nelson; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.