WHO: Professors will show teachers how to create biodiesel and use it to race model boats. Participants:
- Philip Weyman, research associate in biology, University of Missouri-St. Louis (http://www.umsl.edu/~biofuels/);
- Teresa Thiel, professor of biology, University of Missouri-St. Louis (http://www.umsl.edu/~thielt/);
- Eric Knispel, chemistry teacher, John Burroughs School, (http://www.jburroughs.org/science/eknispel/chemistry.html)
- Miriam Rosenbaum, research associate in energy, environmental, and chemical engineering, Washington University, (http://users.seas.wustl.edu/angenent/);
- Brett Barron, biology and chemistry teacher, Hazelwood Central High School, will show teachers how to produce electricity from waste water using microbes on July 19.
What: Biofuels: Hot Topics, a high school science teacher workshop in alternative energy
When: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m., July 18-19, 2007
Info: Dana Benedicktus at (314) 935-4229; cell 724-2297.
Where: Washington University Danforth Campus, 151 Busch Lab
Why: As issues associated with global warming become increasingly more alarming, people need effective energy alternatives. This will be no easy task, and will generate many scientific careers. For students interested in science, this is great news! Never before has it been possible to work on projects that will so greatly change the world. We need scientists to discover new ways to turn renewable energies into forms we can use. We need engineers to design new distribution systems for these technologies. Most of all, we need educated citizens who can vote for measures to cut greenhouse gas emissions and promote alternatives. It all starts with education and inspiring students so that they understand that they can make a difference.
Participating teachers will be doing these labs in their classrooms during 2007-08 using equipment borrowed from the University of Missouri-St. Louis and Washington University. Funding from the National Science Foundation and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute supports the workshop and the classroom loan program.