DynamO Théâtre brings me me me to Edison Theatre Jan. 12

Performance launches popular ovations! for young people series

Montreal’s acclaimed DynamO Théâtre will launch Edison Theatre’s popular ovations! for young people series with me me me, a whirling mix of gymnastics, theater, juggling and mime that tackles perhaps the toughest of all political arenas: grade school.

Dynamo Theatre Company
Montreal’s Dynamo Theatre Company brings *Me Me Me* to Edison Theatre Jan. 12.

The special one-day-only performance begins at 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 12. Tickets are $8, though subscriptions to all three ovations! for young people events are available at $5 per ticket. Tickets are available at the Edison Theatre Box Office and through all MetroTix outlets. Edison Theatre is located in the Mallinckrodt Student Center, 6445 Forsyth Blvd.

For more information, call (314) 935-6543 or email Edison@wustl.edu.

Written by the playwright and novelist Lise Vaillancourt, me me me opens with four longtime friends — Mathilda (Mariflore Véronneau), Nathan (Frédéric Nadeau), Suzanna (Kim Henry) and Stanley (Oliver Koomsatira) — arriving for a hectic day at school. As the students turn to their assignments, Mathilde enthusiastically answers the teacher’s queries, her hand shooting skyward as she yells “me me me” and wins a classroom prize.

Yet Mathilde’s very enthusiasm triggers a hostile reaction from her friends, who soon begin to ostracize her from the group. As the day goes on, Mathilde grows more and more isolated but eventually attempts to overcome that rejection with an unexpected move that takes an entire school by surprise.

“[DynamO Théâtre] tells stories using bodies and few words,” notes Quebec City’s Le Soleil. “Evocation and suggestion are key to its art while poetry and images give it wings … Their muscles are eloquent and their precise movements and actions bring up striking images.

“This furiously theatrical production, varied and rich in references of all kind, instantly imposes its meaning,” adds Le Soleil. “It is geared for kids 7 to 12, but adults should find as much entertainment and lessons as the youngsters.”

*Me Me Me*

DynamO Théâtre was founded in 1981 by a group Montreal artists whose varying backgrounds included gymnastics, mime and juggling. The group’s vision was to create a dynamic theatrical experience that combined all of these movements with the emotional depth of drama — a style they now call the “Theatre of Acrobatic Movement.”

The ovations! for young people series offers specially priced Saturday matinee performances for audiences of all ages. Following DynamO Théâtre, the series will continue Feb. 16 with the Campbell Brothers, grand masters of Sacred Steel, a vital yet little-known African-American Gospel tradition centered on the pedal steel guitar. The series will conclude May 10 with Grammy Award-winning roots-rockers Dan Zanes & Friends.

EDISON THEATRE

Founded in 1973, the Edison Theatre OVATIONS! Series serves both Washington University and the St. Louis community by providing the highest caliber national and international artists in music, dance and theater, performing new works as well as innovative interpretations of classical material not otherwise seen in St. Louis.

Edison Theatre programs are made possible with support from the Missouri Arts Council, a state agency; the Regional Arts Commission, St. Louis; the Arts & Education Council of Greater St. Louis; and private contributors. The OVATIONS! Season is supported by The Mid-America Arts Alliance with generous underwriting by the National Endowment for the Arts and foundations, corporations and individuals throughout Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas.

Calendar Summary

WHO: DynamO Théâtre

WHAT: me me me

WHEN: 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 12

WHERE: Edison Theatre, Washington University, Mallinckrodt Student Center, 6445 Forsyth Blvd.

TICKETS: $8; Available through the Edison Theatre Box Office, (314) 935-6543, and all MetroTix outlets

SPONSOR: Edison Theatre ovations! for young people series