Bill Restemayer

“Politics are coming to real life on our campus. There’s excitement in the air, and it’s all students are talking about – arguing back and forth from both sides. This debate will let me see firsthand if public service is my life’s calling.”

Biography: Bill Restemayer came to Washington University with plenty of firsthand political experience. The freshman from Fargo, N.D., was student body president at Shanley High School, where he spearheaded a food drive involving student councils of 48 local schools. The drive resulted in 80,492 pounds of food distributed among seven food banks. In doing so, he made plenty of local and state political connections and garnered numerous awards and honors.

Restemayer – Click to download

Now, he gets to kick it up a notch as a volunteer with the Vice Presidential Debate. In addition to what a freshman typically deals with – classes, residence hall life, friends – he’s a freshman representative to the College Council. “Politics is coming to real life on our campus,” Restemayer says. “There’s excitement in the air, and it’s all students are talking about – arguing back and forth from both sides.

“I believe this volunteer opportunity is the perfect way for me to start giving back to the University that will be ‘home’ for the next four years. This experience will greatly reinforce the lessons I learn in the classroom and give me valuable exposure to the world of politics.”

Restemayer is a young man with a mission. He’s outgoing and friendly, greeting everyone with a “Hi, I’m Bill from North Dakota,” as he’s aware there aren’t many North Dakotans on the WUSTL campus. “I like to think of myself as an ambassador for my state,” he says. He indicates he might have his sights set someday on the governor’s mansion in Bismarck, N.D. “In 2036 … it’s always something that goes through my mind,” he says. “This debate will let me see firsthand if public service is my life’s calling.”

Hometown: Fargo, ND

Major/minor: Undecided

Student contact information: Cell: (218) 329-6094 E-mail: william.restemayer@wustl.edu

View more profiles