Workers admire their efforts to restore the statue of Scottish poet Robert Burns, located on the southeast side of campus adjacent to Bixby Hall. The eight-foot-tall bronze statue by Robert Ingersoll Aitken is part of the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum collection and was donated by the Burns Society in 1928. The statue cost $10,000 to create and $29,000 to restore to its original luster. A dedicated group of St. Louisans of Scottish descent raised the funds to cover the restoration, the first of many steps to making Burns a destination on campus. Facilities plans to create a stone path to the statue later this fall and will begin landscaping around the pedestal in the spring. The group’s goal is to complete the restoration and landscaping in time for the 250th anniversary of Burns’ birth, Jan. 25, 2009.