Barke named director of Campus Y

Tiffany Barke has been named executive director of the Campus Y on the Danforth Campus.

Previously, she served as the organization’s program director since 2001 and had been interim director since November 2008.

Barke

Barke is excited about the new opportunity.

“I often tell my YMCA colleagues that I have the best job in the YMCA,” she said. “Every day is a new day at the Campus Y, filled with the excitement of our student leaders and their commitment to meet the needs of the Washington University and St. Louis communities.”

The Campus Y is a service organization that provides many opportunities for WUSTL students to give back to the St. Louis community, and the list of volunteer programs grows each year. The facility is located in the lower level of Umrath Hall.

With the Campus Y’s 100th anniversary approaching in 2011, Barke has plans to improve offerings. She wants to continue fostering collaborative partnerships with other service groups on campus, such as the Community Service Office and the Gephardt Institute, while also developing new partnerships with other University departments.

“The Campus Y has a wonderful reputation for developing ethical student leaders and helping them become engaged citizens,” Barke said. “I am proud of our history and plan to continue meeting the needs of the community.

“Washington University has created an environment that supports service, and I find it a privilege to work with more than 100 student leaders and 800 student volunteers in the Campus Y community service programs. I will continue to support our students as they create new programs, volunteer in current programs and grow in their leadership,” she said.

Before joining WUSTL in 2001, Barke was an instructor at John A. Logan College in Carterville, Ill. She taught sociology and college success and career planning. She has a master’s degree in educational psychology from Southern Illinois University Carbondale.