Monsignor Gerard Glynn, considered the founding father of the Newman Center at Washington University — also known as the Catholic Student Center — died Feb. 4, 2009. He was 94.
Glynn was first assigned to the Newman Apostalate at Washington University in 1950, when it was known as the Newman Club and had been meeting for two years in the basement of Our Lady of Lourdes church.
Under his leadership, funds were raised to acquire a building on Skinker Boulevard, which was the original Newman Center.
Glynn continued to grow the ministry and, in 1962, was able to purchase the Catholic Student Center’s current location on Forsyth Boulevard and construct a chapel addition on the south side of the original building.
This was the first of several conversions of residences for institutional use that would occur on Forsyth directly across from the University campus.
Over the years, Glynn garnered support from many St. Louis-area Catholics to secure the future of the Catholic Student Center, creating an endowment for religious education for students of Washington University.
A funeral was held Feb. 9 at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis. Memorial contributions may be made to the Catholic Student Center, 6352 Forsyth, St. Louis, Mo., 63105.