Alumni Volunteering Fosters Connections

Why do you volunteer for Washington University?
COLLEEN: Washington University gave me an incredibly supportive community and a strong education to help me continue to pursue and foster my dreams. For that, I am forever grateful. While I was a student, there was such an incredible amount of support from fellow classmates and a strong sense of togetherness. We relied heavily on each other and alumni connections to help kick off our futures and careers.
Those things make me want to help and support young alumni who are just getting started. I want to be able to help them launch their careers and passions as so many have done for me.
TOM: First and foremost, I strongly believe in the university’s goal of the promotion of learning. Washington University does this very well by bringing together some of the most talented individuals in the world — students and faculty alike — to host an extraordinarily high level of teaching and research. I’m proud to help support that.
Second, I owe much of my own personal and professional development to the education and experiences I had during my four years at the university. By staying involved, I can give back by helping Bay Area alumni maintain that experience even after leaving campus.
What do you enjoy most about your current volunteer role?
COLLEEN: I love meeting alumni and hearing their stories — whether it’s about an alum returning from research in West Africa, learning about a new startup, or hearing about a friend’s engagement or a new baby. Washington U. was a launching pad for all of us, and I love to see how people have applied their degrees and interests.
TOM: There is something unique and lasting about the connections we make during our university years. I enjoy meeting other university alums and sharing some of the common experiences we have. It is a treat to be able to foster those connections, even 2,000 miles away from St. Louis. At one of our recent events, two of the attendees had been college friends, but they had not seen each other since graduating years ago. They shared a friendly hug and just started talking as if no time at all had passed. They had not even known they lived in the same city. It is great to see that.
What advice would you give to alumni who are considering volunteering at the university?
COLLEEN: Go for it! You can get involved in so many areas. We all have different interests, and I think you have to find what fits you. I truly believe there is also a lot of potential to get involved even outside the formal structure of the university. Maybe it’s taking a younger alum under your wing or going to lunch with an alum who is new to the area. It’s all those little ways, in addition to participating on a broader alumni level, that make the Washington U. community what it is.
TOM: Setting aside the good things you can do or the fun you will have, you never know what kind of connections you might discover. From making friends to finding a mentor or setting up a job interview, all kinds of great things can happen. I met my wife at an alumni event. How’s that for a reason to get involved!
Reunion 2013: Enjoy a Lifelong Connection
Join us for a fun-filled weekend of friends, nostalgia and celebration. There will be events for all alumni, including class parties, campus and St. Louis tours, sessions presented by university faculty and much, much more!
Alumni Weekend at Thurtene Carnival
April 19–21, 2013
Classes of 1978, 1983, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2008 and 2012
All alumni are invited to join us on campus April 19–21, 2013, for Alumni Weekend at Thurtene Carnival. The weekend will also commemorate the 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, 30th and 35th Reunions for undergraduate alumni of Arts & Sciences, Business, Engineering, Art and Architecture.
Campus events include the Taste of Wash. U. Reception, Great Bear Parade & Family Picnic, class parties and family activities. And it all takes place during Thurtene Carnival!
Celebrate at Commencement Weekend
May 16–19, 2013
Classes of 1943, 1948, 1953, 1958, 1963, 1968 and 1973
Undergraduate, Nursing, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy alumni from the 40th, 45th, 50th and Emeritus (beyond 50th Reunion) classes will celebrate their Reunion in conjunction with Commencement Weekend, May 16–19, 2013.
Reunion alumni and their guests will enjoy many exciting social and educational events with special events for the 50th Reunion Class of 1963, including the Medallion Ceremony and the Class of 2013 Commencement ceremonies. Law alumni from the Class of 1963 are also invited to participate in the 50th Reunion celebrations.
JOIN YOUR REUNION COMMITTEE
If you would like to volunteer to help make your Reunion one to remember, contact the Alumni Association: 314-935-6503 or 800-867-ALUM (toll-free) or email alumnireunions@wustl.edu.

Alumni Weekend at Thurtene Carnival
April 19–21, 2013

All alumni are invited to join us on campus April 19–21, 2013, for Alumni Weekend at Thurtene Carnival. The weekend will also commemorate the 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, 30th and 35th Reunions for undergraduate alumni of Arts & Sciences, Business, Engineering, Art and Architecture.

Celebrate at Commencement Weekend
May 16–19, 2013

Undergraduate, Nursing, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy alumni from the 40th, 45th, 50th and Emeritus (beyond 50th Reunion) classes will celebrate their Reunion in conjunction with Commencement Weekend, May 16–19, 2013.

JOIN YOUR REUNION COMMITTEE

If you would like to volunteer to help make your Reunion one to remember, contact the Alumni Association: 314-935-6503 or 800-867-ALUM (toll-free) or email alumnireunions@wustl.edu.