Several Washington University School of Medicine faculty members were honored by the school earlier this week for their dedication, talent and contributions to the institution and the field of medicine.
Recipients of the Distinguished Faculty Awards were nominated by their peers to recognize achievements in clinical care, community service, research and teaching. They received the awards Feb. 12 at the annual Faculty Recognition Event, at the Eric P. Newman Education Center.
This year’s winners of the Samuel R. Goldstein Leadership Awards in Medical Student Education also received their awards at the event. The Goldstein awards recognize outstanding teaching and commitment to medical education. Recipients are selected by a committee of faculty and students and given final approval by Larry J. Shapiro, MD, executive vice chancellor for medical affairs and dean of the School of Medicine.
This year’s Distinguished Faculty and Goldstein award recipients are:
Distinguished Clinician Award
- Michael R. Chicoine, MD, the August A. Busch Jr. Professor of Neurological Surgery
- Anne Carol Goldberg, MD, associate professor of medicine
- Michael J. Noetzel, MD, professor of neurology and of pediatrics
- Barry A. Siegel, MD, professor of radiology and of medicine
Distinguished Investigator Award
- Kendall J. Blumer, PhD, professor of cell biology and physiology
- David H. Gutmann, MD, PhD, the Donald O. Schnuck Family Professor of Neurology, professor of pediatrics, of genetics and of neurological surgery
- Katherine A. Henzler-Wildman, PhD, assistant professor of biochemistry and molecular biophysics
- Chyi-Song Hsieh, MD, PhD, assistant professor of medicine and of pathology and immunology
Daniel P. Schuster Award for Distinguished Work in Clinical and Translational Science
- John F. DiPersio, MD, PhD, the Virginia E. and Sam J. Golman Professor of Medicine, associate professor of pathology and immunology and of pediatrics
Distinguished Educator Award
Clinical Fellow Mentoring
- Julio E. Pérez, MD, professor of medicine
Graduate Student Teaching
- Tim B. Schedl, PhD, professor of genetics
House Staff Teaching
- Rick W. Wright, MD, the Dr. Asa C. and Mrs. Dorothy W. Jones Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
Postdoctoral Research Mentoring
- Daniel E. Goldberg, MD, PhD, professor of molecular microbiology and of medicine
Distinguished Community Service Award
- Jane M. Garbutt, MBChB, associate professor of medicine and of pediatrics
- Jeffrey A. Lowell, MD, professor of surgery and of pediatrics
Samuel R. Goldstein Leadership Awards in Medical Student Education
- Steven Cheng, MD, assistant professor of medicine
- Will Ross, MD, associate professor of medicine and associate dean for diversity
For more information on the award winners, follow this link.