Volunteer Spotlight

LARS ETZKORN, AB ’87 CHAIR, WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY PRIDE ALUMNI NETWORK

Lars Etzkorn, AB ’87, is chair, Washington University Pride Alumni Network. (Courtesy photo)

Why do you volunteer for Washington University?

My Washington University years define who I am today. Nearly every day something from those four years impacts my life. My interests are directly related to my studies and the lifelong friendships I forged while at the university. From the moment I was accepted, I have relished being part of the university community. And I like being able to give back. I certainly hope my contributions help someone else have a good experience on campus.

What do you enjoy most about volunteering?

It is truly enjoyable to work with the smart and talented students, alumni, faculty and staff. It is also rewarding to help make a difference for a university that so shaped me. With so many others, I’m pleased to help create a better connection for LGBT alumni to the university. We’re building something of lasting service for LGBT alumni and students, and we welcome anyone who is interested to join us.

What advice would you give to alumni who are considering volunteering at the university?

You can have a meaningful experience regardless of how much time you are able to commit. In fact, you can tailor your volunteer activities to your schedule. The university presents meaningful ­opportunities to feel engaged and to know you are making a difference.
To learn more about how you can volunteer, visit the Alumni Association website atalumni.wustl.edu, contact alumniassociation@wustl.edu, or call (314) 935-7378 or (800) 867-ALUM (toll-free).