As part of Washington University in St. Louis’ ongoing commitment to providing a safe and secure environment for university employees, students and visitors, the university is offering workplace safety training sessions.
The one-hour free training class for employees and students focuses on two emergency situations: recognizing and preventing violence in the workplace and responding to an active shooter on campus.
WUSTL’s Emergency Management, Washington University School of Medicine Protective Services and Washington University Police Department are hosting the training sessions.
Mark Bagby, emergency management director; Lt. Mark Glenn of the WUPD; and Sean Cox of Protective Services conduct the sessions, which are identical.
Among the topics they will discuss are how to identify signals and behaviors that are indicative of potentially violent offenders in the workplace; mental health resources available to employees and students; and how to respond and protect yourself in the event of workplace violence or a shooter on campus.
Each session will include a three-minute video, titled “Options for Consideration”; a live demonstration on what to do if confronted by a shooter; and a question-and-answer session.
The schedule of upcoming classes is:
- Session 0005 9-10 a.m. Monday, Aug. 19, in Wohl Hospital, Lower Level Clopton Auditorium on the Medical Campus
- Session 0006 10-11 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 4, in Wohl Hospital, Lower Level Clopton Auditorium on the Medical Campus
- Session 0007 1-2 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18, in Rebstock Hall, Room 215, on the Danforth Campus
- Session 0008 9-10 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 2, in January Hall, Room 110 on the Danforth Campus
- Session 0009 3-4 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16, in the West Campus Library, Conference Room A/B (Lower Level)
- Session 0010 2-3 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 23, in Wohl Hospital, Lower Level Clopton Auditorium on the Medical Campus.
Seating is limited and registration via HRMS is required for employees. Students can email Bagby at email@example.com to register.
Additional sessions will be announced later this year.
For employees to register in HRMS, go to Employee Self Service. Select Training and Development and under Training Request, go to Emergency Preparedness Enroll and then View Available Sessions for Violence/Shooter on Campus. Pick an available Session Number, then select Continue and then select Submit.
For more information, contact Bagby at firstname.lastname@example.org.