Several Washington University School of Medicine faculty members were honored by the school Jan. 29 for their dedication, talent and wide-ranging achievements.
Recipients of the Distinguished Faculty Awards were nominated by their peers to recognize achievements in clinical care, community service, research and teaching. They received the awards at the annual Faculty Recognition Event at the Eric P. Newman Education Center.
This year’s winners of the Samuel R. Goldstein Leadership Awards in Medical Student Education also received their awards at the event. The Goldstein awards recognize outstanding teaching and commitment to medical education. Recipients are selected by a committee of faculty and students and given final approval by Larry J. Shapiro, MD, executive vice chancellor for medical affairs and dean of the School of Medicine.
“This is an event in which I am always eager to participate,” Shapiro said. “It’s energizing to see and reward the tremendous contributions these faculty members make and the exceptional dedication they show. They not only enrich our university and our students’ lives, they have a very real, very positive impact on people throughout the St. Louis community and beyond.”
This year’s Distinguished Faculty and Goldstein award recipients are:
Distinguished Clinician Award
- David T. Balzer, MD, professor of pediatrics
- David B. Carr, MD, professor of medicine and of neurology
- Janet B. McGill, MD, professor of medicine
- Brent E. Ruoff, MD, associate professor of emergency medicine
Distinguished Investigator Award
- Peter M.J. Burgers, PhD, the Marvin A. Brennecke Professor of Biological Chemistry
- Valeria Cavalli, PhD, assistant professor of neurobiology
- John E. Heuser, MD, professor of cell biology and physiology
- Vitaly A. Klyachko, PhD, assistant professor of cell biology and physiology, of biomedical engineering and of neurobiology
Daniel P. Schuster Award for Distinguished Work in Clinical and Translational Science
- Robert M. Senior, MD, the Dorothy R. and Hubert C. Moog Professor of Pulmonary Diseases in Medicine and professor of cell biology and physiology
Distinguished Educator Awards
Clinical Fellow Mentoring
- K. Daniel Riew, MD, the Mildred B. Simon Distinguished Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and professor of neurological surgery
Graduate Student Teaching
- Stephen Kerry Kornfeld, PhD, MD, professor of developmental biology
House Staff Teaching
- Michael R. Jarvis, PhD, MD professor of psychiatry
Postdoctoral Research Mentoring
- David C. Beebe, PhD, the Janet and Bernard Becker Professor of Opthalmology and Visual Sciences and professor of cell biology and physiology
Samuel R. Goldstein Leadership Awards in Medical Student Education
- W. Edwin Dodson, MD, associate vice chancellor and associate dean for admissions and financial aid, and professor of pediatrics and of neurology
- Gregory M. Polites, MD, associate professor of emergency medicine
- Joseph L. (Joel) Price, PhD, DPhil, professor of anatomy and neurobiology
Distinguished Community Service Award
- Robert F. Poirier Jr., MD, assistant professor of emergency medicine
- Cynthia A. Wichelman, MD, associate professor of emergency medicine
For more information on the award winners, follow this link.
For more photos from the event, follow this link.