I-CARES  to offer funds for innovative research

The International Center for Advanced Renewable Energy and Sustainability, or I-CARES, has released its 2014 call for research proposals.

I-CARES will award up to $500,000 this year in seed funding for innovative research projects to tenured and tenure-track faculty at Washington University in St. Louis. Proposals submitted should be in the general areas of renewable energy and sustainability.

Disciplinary diversity and representation from various schools will be considered when final funding decisions are made because the goal of I-CARES is to broaden participation in the fields of energy, environment and sustainability.

Informational brown-bag sessions will be held Thursday, Feb. 6, on the Danforth Campus and Tuesday, Feb. 11, on the School of Medicine campus.

Visit here for more information on deadlines, content and funding restrictions.

In 2013, I-CARES launched a new signature initiative, the Washington University Climate Change Initiative (WUCCI), under the leadership of Peter Raven, PhD, the George Engelmann Professor of Botany Emeritus in Arts & Sciences and president emeritus of the Missouri Botanical Garden. The mission of WUCCI is to expand scientific research, education and public understanding of global climate change. WUCCI held its first workshop in October 2013 on climate change and human health. To encourage collaborative proposals in this area, in 2014, I-CARES intends to fund at least one project focusing on climate change and human health.

This is the seventh year of competition for funding through this program. To date, I-CARES has funded 71 projects that include 99 individual investigators. Research funded by I-CARES has led to many scholarly publications and products, served to generate seed pilot data for successful federal grants, and provided meaningful research opportunities to students engaged in these projects.