Seven faculty were among those recognized at Washington University in St. Louis’ annual Founders Day celebration Nov. 5 at St. Louis Union Station Hotel.
Established in 1953 to celebrate the institution’s founding 100 years earlier, Founders Day also marks a time when the university community gathers to recognize distinguished alumni, faculty and friends of the university.
Distinguished Faculty Award
The Distinguished Faculty Award recognizes outstanding commitment to the intellectual and personal development of students.
This year’s recipient is Timothy J. Eberlein, MD, the Spencer T. and Ann W. Olin Distinguished Professor; director of the Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center; and senior associate dean for cancer programs, School of Medicine.
Faculty Achievement Awards
New this year at Founders Day was recognition of recipients of the annual Faculty Achievement Awards, known as the Arthur Holly Compton Faculty Achievement Award and the Carl and Gerty Cori Faculty Achievement Award. Honorees for the past three years were acknowledged at the ceremony.
The Compton Award is given to a distinguished member of the faculty from one of the seven Danforth Campus schools and the Cori Award to a faculty member from the School of Medicine. All full-time, active Washington University faculty members are eligible to receive the Faculty Achievement Award.
Recipients of the Arthur Holly Compton Faculty Achievement Award in 2020, 2021 and 2022 are:
- Adia Harvey Wingfield, the Mary Tileston Hemenway Professor and vice dean for faculty development and diversity, Arts & Sciences (2022);
- Jean M. Allman, the J.H. Hexter Professor in the Humanities, Arts & Sciences (2021); and
- Adrienne D. Davis, the William M. Van Cleve Professor of Law, School of Law, and professor of organizational behavior and leadership, Olin Business School (2020).
Recipients of the Carl and Gerty Cori Faculty Achievement Award in 2020, 2021 and 2022 are:
- John P. Atkinson, MD, the Samuel B. Grant Professor of Medicine; professor of molecular microbiology; and director of the RVCL Research Center, School of Medicine (2022);
- Lilianna Solnica-Krezel, the Alan A. and Edith L. Wolff Distinguished Professor and head of the Department of Developmental Biology, School of Medicine (2021); and
- Joan L. Luby, MD, the Samuel and Mae S. Ludwig Professor of Psychiatry and director of the Early Emotional Development Program, School of Medicine (2020).
Distinguished Alumni Awards
The Distinguished Alumni Awards recognize outstanding professional achievement, public service, exceptional service to Washington University or all three.
Recipients this year are:
- John Dains, BSBA ’68, CEO emeritus, Helm Financial Corp.;
- Carrie A. Johnson, AB ’89, design strategist and social activist;
- Lori M. Lee, BSBA ’88, MBA ’89, CEO, AT&T Latin America, and global marketing officer, AT&T Inc.; and
- Shirley A. Sahrmann, BS ’58, MA ’71, PhD ’73, professor emerita of physical therapy, School of Medicine.
Robert S. Brookings Awards
Presented by the Board of Trustees, the Robert S. Brookings Award honors individuals for their extraordinary dedication and generosity to Washington University.
This year’s honorees are: David and Dorothy Kemper and Joanne Knight.
To see a recording of the event or for bios on the honorees, visit the Founders Day website.
Comments and respectful dialogue are encouraged, but content will be moderated. Please, no personal attacks, obscenity or profanity, selling of commercial products, or endorsements of political candidates or positions. We reserve the right to remove any inappropriate comments. We also cannot address individual medical concerns or provide medical advice in this forum.