Towering Over the Field

Benedict Tranel, AIA, AB ’97 (architecture), senior associate for Gensler, was named to Building Design+Construction’s “40 Under 40” class of 2014 in April 2014. Earlier in 2014, Tranel was also named to ENR California’s “Top 20 Under 40” list.

Benedict Tranel, AIA, AB ’97, senior associate for Gensler, has led the design process for many of the firm’s most ­well-known projects, including the 632-meter-tall Shanghai Tower (above, right). (Courtesy image)

“I am humbled to receive these recognitions for my contributions to the built environment,” Tranel says. “Architecture is a team sport, and I would like to also acknowledge the many other individuals with whom I’ve had the great opportunity to work, and especially to my mentors who have supported me along the way, starting with many of my architecture professors at Washington University!”

At Gensler, Tranel has led the design process for many of the firm’s most ­well-known projects, including the 632-meter-tall Shanghai Tower (above, on right). For the China tower, Tranel led the facade design, which incorporated some 30,000 ­elements of different sizes, shapes and positions.

Visit Building Design+Construction for more on Tranel and two other alumni — Josh Greenfield and Tim Masa — named to BDC’s “40 Under 40” list.