Reunion: Good Times Abound

Undergraduate alumni gear up for their Reunions.

Food and fun are what make the family picnic during Alumni Weekend a popular activity for alumni and their guests. (WUSTL Photo Services)

Nearly 1,000 young alumni and friends return to Washington University annually for Young Alumni Reunion. This year promises to be no different. Members of the classes of 2010, 2006, 2001 and 1996 will come together April 15–17, 2011, for their 1st, 5th, 10th and 15th Reunions. The weekend gives alumni the opportunity to reconnect with friends and enjoy a fun-filled weekend of class parties, campus activities and Thurtene Carnival.

The 20th–70th Reunion classes will assemble on the Danforth Campus May 19–22, 2011. Undergraduate alumni from the classes of 1941 through 1991 (’41, ’46, ’51, ’56, ’61, ’66, ’71, ’76, ’81, ’86, ’91) will reconnect with classmates and see what is new on campus. The weekend promises to be an exciting one as many events are planned, including class parties and the Great Bear Parade.

For more on all the Reunion festivities, visit: reunions.wustl.edu.

Alumna Volunteer Spotlight

DANIELLE FORGET SHIELD, BS ’94

• President, 825 Basics, LLC
• Co-author of Exceeds Expectations: Take Control of Your Performance Review
• University volunteer positions: Chair, Washington University Club in Houston; Member, Houston Regional Cabinet

What do you enjoy most about your volunteer positions?

As a student, I tried to take at least one class a semester that was beyond the reach of my civil engineering degree program — art, athletics, business, political science, etc. The incredible programs that the university brings to the alumni clubs allow us to continue learning in areas that are beyond our professional areas of expertise.

In addition, my university volunteer positions help me connect to others and network in Houston, helping me create strong friendships with fascinating people.

Why do you volunteer for Washington University?

After I graduated and moved to a new city, I was compelled to participate in organizations as a way to meet people, including the Washington University alumni club.

Everyone we encounter shapes us, and the people I encountered at the university helped form who I have become professionally. Washington U. taught me how to utilize data to find a unique solution. These analytical and decision-making skills have been invaluable in my career. I enjoy giving my time to an institution that gave so much to me.

What advice do you have for current students?

Success in the workplace requires a different skill set than success in an academic environment. The university does a phenomenal job of preparing you academically, but you also need to prepare socially. You must learn to network effectively and develop communications skills. Tomorrow’s leaders will be able to optimize social networking tools, as well as know when and how to have a quality conversation face-to-face.

The best way for students to gain these skills before officially entering the workforce is through summer jobs, co-ops or internships. Alternatively, participating in professional and technical organizations will build crucial skills.

Stay connected to the university …

Send us your e-mail address

Contact the Alumni Association: 314-935-7378, 800-867-ALUM (toll-free) or alumniassociation@wustl.edu.