WU Spotlight: Paul Shao, Executive MBA, 2013 (Shanghai)

Paul Shao
Paul Shao, EMBA ’13, the new managing director for the Washington University–Fudan University joint Executive MBA program in Shanghai.

Paul Shao’s “brilliant” experience with the Washington University–Fudan University Executive MBA program fueled his desire to become the program’s new managing director. “This is a program that has potential to grow further in China,” Shao says. “As I have invested a lot of time in my own learning, I am confident I know this program well enough to lead it in China.”

Established in 2002, the program prepares senior-level professionals in China and other parts of Asia for global leadership. Courses are taught mainly in English by both Washington University and Fudan University faculty. Classes are held at Fudan University’s School of Management in Shanghai.

Shao, a graduate with Class 11 in 2013, shared what drew him to the EMBA Shanghai program: “I wanted to understand business management from a holistic point of view, rather than a single standpoint of marketing.”

Shao began work with the newest class, class 14, in March 2015.

Taking over a program that the Financial Times ranked seventh best in the world, does put Shao under some pressure.

“The biggest challenge for me is to set a bigger yet achievable vision for the program. The program has been very successful for the past 13 years, so any effort to bring it to a next level should be carefully evaluated.”