William K. Bixby, the namesake of Bixby Hall, home of the School of Art, uses a trowel to assist with the cornerstone-laying ceremony in 1925. Also shown are (from left) Chancellor Herbert Spencer Hadley; Edmund H. Wuerpel, the second director of what was then known as the School of Fine Arts; and Holmes Smith, professor of drawing and of history of art. Bixby, a former president of the Board of Control of the School of Fine Arts, gave the University $250,000 in securities in 1921 for the construction of the new building. Bixby was also a member of the Board of Trustees from 1904 until his death in 1931, serving both as first vice president (1905-1928) and president (1928-1930). A generous benefactor, Bixby also gave the University a valuable collection of rare books and manuscripts known as the Bixby Collection.