Oct. 20, 1900
The cornerstone was laid for Busch Hall, the first building on the Hilltop Campus, which was completed in 1903. This building first served as headquarters for the architects and engineers employed by the 1904 World’s Fair. The University occupied the building in 1905.
Oct. 22, 1854
O’Fallon Evening School opened for classes at the Benton School House in downtown St. Louis — the first of the new University’s divisions to do so. Courses were offered in arithmetic, algebra, reading, grammar, declamations and, if needed, writing and spelling.
This feature will be included in each 2003-04 issue of the Record in observance of Washington University’s 150th anniversary.