Thursday, May 16
The School of Medicine is hosting a reception for graduates and their families and guests from 5-7 p.m. May 16 in the Atrium/Hearth of the Farrell Learning and Teaching Center (FLTC). The FLTC is located on the School of Medicine campus at 520 S. Euclid.
Surface parking is available on McKinley Avenue – on lots adjacent to Olin Residence Hall and on lots across from the McDonnell Medical Sciences Building.
Friday, May 17
Washington University Commencement Exercises for all schools will take place at 8:30 a.m. May 17 in the Quadrangle of the Danforth Campus.
The School of Medicine’s Recognition Ceremony will take place at 3 p.m. in the Ferrara Theater of America’s Center, 701 Convention Plaza. The Four Humours String Quartet and the John Ford Highland Bagpipe Band will perform. Sandeep Jauhar, M.D., Ph.D. ’98 – Cardiologist and Director of Heart Failure Program at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 1998 graduate of Washington University School of Medicine, author of the memoir “Intern – A Doctor’s Initiation” and medical writer for The New York Times and The New England Journal of Medicine, will give the address.
A reception will follow from 5-6 p.m. in America’s Center Second Floor Courtyard Atrium. This reception is hosted by the Washington University Medical Center Alumni Association.
Directions to America’s Center
Driving eastbound I-64 (US 40)
Due to possible delays with MoDOT we recommend
you refer to the MoDOT website or its real-time traffic website. If you are using GPS software, the address for the America’s Center is: 701 Convention Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63101.
- Take I-64 (US 40) east toward downtown St. Louis.
- Use Exit 40B “Broadway & 6th Street – Last Missouri Exit”.
- Turn left on Gratiot.
- Proceed 2 blocks on Gratiot to 4th Street, turn left.
- Proceed 14 blocks on 4th Street to Convention Plaza, turn left.
- Proceed 3 blocks on Convention Plaza to 7th Street.
You will be at the Convention Plaza Entrance at America’s Center – marked “Ferrara Theater”. The entrance to a Parking Garage is on the right side of 7th Street.
- Go east to Convention Center Station at 6th & Washington (this metro station is after the ‘8th & Pine’ station)
- Take escalator upstairs to Washington.
- Turn left on Washington.
- Walk west 1 block on Washington to 7th Street, turn right.
- Walk north 2 blocks on 7th Street to Convention Plaza Entrance.
You will be at the Convention Plaza Entrance at
America’s Center – marked “Ferrara Theater”. Note: We strongly advise
against using the Washington Avenue Entrance (at 8th Street and
considered by many as the main entrance) as it requires a much longer
walk to the Ferrara Theater.
Directions from America’s Center
Driving westbound I-64 (US 40)
Due to possible delays with MoDOT, we recommend you refer to the MoDOT website or its real-time traffic website. If you are using GPS software, the address for the America’s Center is: 701 Convention Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63101.
Commuters can expect extra traffic due to the Cardinals baseball game which begins at 7:15 pm.
- Exiting the garage, turn right onto 7th Street and proceed to Washingon Ave.
* Note: An alternative route from the parking garage would be to turn left onto 7th Street, right on Convention Plaza, proceed Broadway and turn right.
- Turn left onto Washington Ave. and proceed two blocks to Broadway.
- Turn right on Broadway, continue south (passing Busch Stadium on your right) to the westbound entrance to I-64 (US 40)
- Turn right onto I-64 (US 40).
MetroLink (back to Central West End)
- Exiting Ferrara Theater lobby (7th Street side), turn right.
- Walk south 2 blocks on 7th Street to Washington, turn left.
- Walk east 1 block on Washington, stopping when you reach 6th Street.
- MetroLink station is on your left, at this corner. Go downstairs.
- Go west to Central West End station (“Shrewsbury” or “Lambert Field” train).
Commencement Recognition Ceremony schedule
2:15 p.m. Graduates arrive at Room 145 of America’s Center. Ferrara Theater doors open for guests. The Four Humours String Quartet performs.
2:30 p.m. Faculty arrive at Room 145 of America’s Center.
3 p.m. School of Medicine’s Commencement Recognition Ceremony begins. John Ford Highland Bagpipe Band leads the academic processional into the Ferrara Theater.
5 p.m. Reception in America’s Center Second Floor Courtyard Atrium, hosted by Washington University Medical Center Alumni Association.
Comments and respectful dialogue are encouraged, but content will be moderated. Please, no personal attacks, obscenity or profanity, selling of commercial products, or endorsements of political candidates or positions. We reserve the right to remove any inappropriate comments. We also cannot address individual medical concerns or provide medical advice in this forum.