Thursday, May 16
The School of Medicine is hosting a reception for graduates and their families and guests from 5-7 p.m. May 16 in the Atrium/Hearth of the Farrell Learning and Teaching Center (FLTC). The FLTC is located on the School of Medicine campus at 520 S. Euclid.
Surface parking is available on McKinley Avenue – on lots adjacent to Olin Residence Hall and on lots across from the McDonnell Medical Sciences Building.
Friday, May 17
Washington University Commencement Exercises for all schools will take place at 8:30 a.m. May 17 in the Quadrangle of the Danforth Campus.
The School of Medicine’s Recognition Ceremony will take place at 3 p.m. in the Ferrara Theater of America’s Center, 701 Convention Plaza. The Four Humours String Quartet and the John Ford Highland Bagpipe Band will perform. Sandeep Jauhar, M.D., Ph.D. ’98 – Cardiologist and Director of Heart Failure Program at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 1998 graduate of Washington University School of Medicine, author of the memoir “Intern – A Doctor’s Initiation” and medical writer for The New York Times and The New England Journal of Medicine, will give the address.
A reception will follow from 5-6 p.m. in America’s Center Second Floor Courtyard Atrium. This reception is hosted by the Washington University Medical Center Alumni Association.
Directions to America’s Center
Driving eastbound I-64 (US 40)
Due to possible delays with MoDOT we recommend
you refer to the MoDOT website or its real-time traffic website. If you are using GPS software, the address for the America’s Center is: 701 Convention Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63101.
- Take I-64 (US 40) east toward downtown St. Louis.
- Use Exit 40B “Broadway & 6th Street – Last Missouri Exit”.
- Turn left on Gratiot.
- Proceed 2 blocks on Gratiot to 4th Street, turn left.
- Proceed 14 blocks on 4th Street to Convention Plaza, turn left.
- Proceed 3 blocks on Convention Plaza to 7th Street.
You will be at the Convention Plaza Entrance at America’s Center – marked “Ferrara Theater”. The entrance to a Parking Garage is on the right side of 7th Street.
- Go east to Convention Center Station at 6th & Washington (this metro station is after the ‘8th & Pine’ station)
- Take escalator upstairs to Washington.
- Turn left on Washington.
- Walk west 1 block on Washington to 7th Street, turn right.
- Walk north 2 blocks on 7th Street to Convention Plaza Entrance.
You will be at the Convention Plaza Entrance at
America’s Center – marked “Ferrara Theater”. Note: We strongly advise
against using the Washington Avenue Entrance (at 8th Street and
considered by many as the main entrance) as it requires a much longer
walk to the Ferrara Theater.
Directions from America’s Center
Driving westbound I-64 (US 40)
Due to possible delays with MoDOT, we recommend you refer to the MoDOT website or its real-time traffic website. If you are using GPS software, the address for the America’s Center is: 701 Convention Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63101.
Commuters can expect extra traffic due to the Cardinals baseball game which begins at 7:15 pm.
- Exiting the garage, turn right onto 7th Street and proceed to Washingon Ave.
* Note: An alternative route from the parking garage would be to turn left onto 7th Street, right on Convention Plaza, proceed Broadway and turn right.
- Turn left onto Washington Ave. and proceed two blocks to Broadway.
- Turn right on Broadway, continue south (passing Busch Stadium on your right) to the westbound entrance to I-64 (US 40)
- Turn right onto I-64 (US 40).
MetroLink (back to Central West End)
- Exiting Ferrara Theater lobby (7th Street side), turn right.
- Walk south 2 blocks on 7th Street to Washington, turn left.
- Walk east 1 block on Washington, stopping when you reach 6th Street.
- MetroLink station is on your left, at this corner. Go downstairs.
- Go west to Central West End station (“Shrewsbury” or “Lambert Field” train).
Commencement Recognition Ceremony schedule
2:15 p.m. Graduates arrive at Room 145 of America’s Center. Ferrara Theater doors open for guests. The Four Humours String Quartet performs.
2:30 p.m. Faculty arrive at Room 145 of America’s Center.
3 p.m. School of Medicine’s Commencement Recognition Ceremony begins. John Ford Highland Bagpipe Band leads the academic processional into the Ferrara Theater.
5 p.m. Reception in America’s Center Second Floor Courtyard Atrium, hosted by Washington University Medical Center Alumni Association.