Commencement will have come and gone, summer weather will be in full swing and University staff members will have their day in the sun on Staff Day May 24.
The event, in its 29th year, honors personnel for their contributions to the University’s success. This year’s edition will kick off at 10:30 a.m. with the Staff Service Award and Recognition Ceremony in Edison Theatre.
Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton will host the program and will be assisted by the University’s vice chancellors and deans. The ceremony will honor those with 10, 15, 20, 26 and 30-plus years of service.
Also presented will be the seventh annual Gloria W. White Distinguished Service Award, recognizing a staff member for exceptional effort and contributions that result in the enhancement of the University.
A buffet lunch and social gathering will be at noon in Bowles Plaza. In case of inclement weather, lunch will be in Mallinckrodt Student Center.
From 1-3 p.m., open activities for staff members include wallyball and racquetball, swimming, running on Bushyhead Track and use of the fitness center in the Athletic Complex. Those preferring something less strenuous can have a caricature drawn or try their luck at bingo, bridge and other table games in Holmes Lounge.
Tyson Research Center personnel will be offering two tours of the facility: a forest hike that will include information about the Center’s Native American history, and a visit to the abandoned Mincke Hollow mining town and quarry cave. For information on the tours, call Joyce Duncan at 935-8430.
In addition, the following group activities will be available:
• Video presentation of Me, Vashya, a play Tennessee Williams wrote as a WUSTL student. Henry I. Schvey, Ph.D., chair of the Performing Arts Department in Arts & Sciences, will host pre- and post-performance discussions. Call Tom Evola at 935-9818 for more details.
• Golf at Forest Park: Call Bev Owens at 935-6482. Golfers will have box lunches at the park before their 12:15 p.m. tee time.
• A Hilltop Campus tour: Call Jim Burmeister at 935-5801.
• A bike ride in Forest Park: Call Bobbe Winters at 935-6231.
• Softball: Call Tom Lauman at 935-5967.
• Volleyball: Call Janine Prost-Domasky at 935-9525.
• WUSTL Walks: Call Betsy Foy at 935-7386.
At 3:30 p.m. in Bowles Plaza, winners of various activities will be presented with trophies or plaques, and there will be drawings for grand prizes. Treats from Ted Drewes also will be available on a first-come, first-served basis during the awards.
“Staff members at this University work very hard and contribute daily to the University’s success,” said Ann B. Prenatt, vice chancellor for human resources. “They deserve their own day of recognition, and a great deal of time and effort is put into the organizing and implementing of the event by the Staff Day Committee and the Office of Human Resources.
“All the work we put into it is worth it when we see the smiles of those receiving service awards, colleagues enjoying the competitions and staff members just out having a fun afternoon.”
For more information, call 935-5990.