Stretch departmental funds — hire a work-study student

More than 1,000 WUSTL students are work-study eligible

Student Financial Services can help departments locate and hire part-time student workers for the 2010-11 academic year — and, at the same time, help departments stretch their budgets a bit further.

More than 900 work-study-eligible undergraduates worked in more than 160 university departments during the 2009-10 academic year. These students earned more than $1 million collectively while performing various duties in departments at the university.

For 2010-11, approximately 1,000 students are eligible for work-study. During this budget-challenged year, departments hiring eligible federal work-study students will only pay 40 percent of the student’s total earnings. The other 60 percent will be covered with U.S. Department of Education funding.

Each year, the U.S. Department of Education provides WUSTL with funding that subsidizes the wages of student workers eligible to participate in the Federal Work-Study Program.

This helps departments obtain talented, part-time employees and, at the same time, helps students finance some of their education costs.

“This year, more students are expected to seek out part-time campus employment as a way to help their families cover their college expenses during this time of economic uncertainty,” says James McDonald, assistant director of Student Financial Services.

“To better support the departments hiring eligible students, the university is committing the maximum funding for students’ federal work-study earnings,” McDonald says.

For assistance with hiring work-study-eligible students, contact McDonald at 935-6847 or