Class Acts: Marcus Meyer

Former Bears basketball player will work at downtown St. Louis law firm

Marcus Meyer, who is set to graduate in May with a juris doctorate from the Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, has enjoyed his time at the university, both as an undergraduate and a graduate student.

“During my time as an undergrad, I was able to play basketball all four years, and it was truly an amazing experience,” said Meyer, a native of Kansas City, Mo. “It was great to have a team to belong to as well as to have the opportunity to visit and play at other fantastic schools across the U.S., including New York University and the University of Chicago. Basketball taught me a great deal about discipline in order to achieve my goals or to accomplish tasks.

“My time at the law school has been just as great. I feel that as a graduate student, I felt much more connected with the city of St. Louis and have attained a new appreciation for St. Louis, which aided in my decision to remain here after graduation.”

Academic honors

I was honored to be chosen as an Ervin Scholar in attending WashU and to have a wonderful level of institutional support to help guide me through my educational journey at WashU.

I have also loved being a Marshall-Brennan Fellow through the Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project. The project is a nationally recognized law-related education program that promotes democratic engagement, constitutional literacy and legal advocacy by placing talented upper-level law students in high schools to teach yearlong courses in constitutional law and oral advocacy. The project supports law students in developing foundational lawyering and professionalism skills by giving them tools to address the well-documented constitutional illiteracy and civic disengagement of America’s high school students.

What will you be doing after graduation?

I will be staying in St. Louis to study for the bar exam. In my previous two summers, I worked as a summer associate for Sandberg Phoenix, and I have accepted a full-time position with Sandberg Phoenix’s downtown office. I will begin working in September after having taken the bar exam. As I begin my career, I am excited to try my hand in multiple areas of the law, but I am particularly interested in litigation. 

How has your background prepared you for success?

My father is a St. Louis native and my mother is a Brazilian immigrant who moved to Missouri at the age of 15. After graduating, my parents began their careers as public school teachers in Kansas City. Growing up with educators as parents allowed me to see the extreme value that education holds in our world and caused me to seek more knowledge to understand the world around me and the varying perspectives that encompass this world. With that desire for knowledge, a passion for basketball, and wanting to stay relatively close to home to maintain my close relationship with family, WashU became an easy choice due to its academic rigor, competitive athletics and ability to see my family often.

What do you love about St. Louis?

One of my favorite things to do is spend time outside, so I love visiting Forest Park or other pockets of the city, such as the Central West End or the zoo. Though it is difficult to compete with Kansas City BBQ, I love getting out and trying all the great food that St. Louis has to offer. I think some of my favorite restaurants include Five Star Burgers, Half & Half for brunch, Cafe Nova for some good gyros or El Burro Loco for some later night food and good vibes. Overall, I just try to enjoy every aspect of the city and appreciate the relationships I’ve made and the people in my life who make this city so great!