Danforth Campus employees are invited to relax, have fun and celebrate with co-workers on Staff Day, Monday, May 21.
Softball, volleyball, bike rides and bingo are just some of the many activities offered at Staff Day, a daylong celebration organized by the Office of Human Resources to recognize Danforth Campus staff members and show the university’s appreciation for their work throughout the year.
“We are pleased to, once again, invite our staff colleagues to Staff Day,” says Ann B. Prenatt, vice chancellor for human resources. “It is a special day of well-deserved recognition for staff members who make many and varied contributions to the success of the university.”
Staff Day kicks off with a Service Awards ceremony, hosted by Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton, at Edison Theatre in the Mallinckrodt Center at 10 a.m. The ceremony will honor those with 10, 15, 20, 26 and 30-plus years of service to the university.
Wrighton also will present the 15th annual Gloria W. White Distinguished Service Award, which recognizes a Danforth Campus nonacademic staff member for his or her exceptional effort and contribution to the university.
Next on the schedule is lunch, which begins at 11:30 a.m. in Bowles Plaza outside the Mallinckrodt Center. If there is inclement weather, lunch will be held in the Mallinckrodt Center. Tickets, which are required for the lunch, are free and can be requested at staffday.wustl.edu.
After lunch, those preferring to take it easy can take one of two educator-led Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum tours (1 p.m. and 2 p.m.); play bingo (1:30-3 p.m. in Holmes Lounge); or take a tour of the Danforth Campus led by Jim Burmeister, director of Commencement (1 p.m. at Brookings Archway).
For employees wanting a more athletic afternoon, Staff Day offers:
- Golf at Forest Park Golf Course. Those who sign up for golf must be at the clubhouse by 11:30 a.m. for lunch, and tee times start at 12:15 p.m. There is a greens fee of $26. To sign up, email Bev Owens at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debra McCombs at email@example.com. Tee times are available to the first 60 players who sign up.
- Softball at the Women’s Softball Field. The opening pitch is 1 p.m. Either sign up with a team or by yourself and you will be assigned a team. To sign up, email Brad King at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volleyball at the Athletic Complex. The first game starts at 1:30 p.m. Either sign up with a team or by yourself and you will be assigned a team. To sign up, email Jeff Herman at email@example.com or Donna Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Washers at Mudd Field. The first toss is at 1 p.m. To sign up a two-person team, email Karen Rose at email@example.com.
- Bike ride through Forest Park. This ride begins at 1:30 p.m. at the bottom of the steps at Brookings Hall and will last approximately 40 minutes. Bring your own bike and bottle of water. For more information, email Bobbe Winters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WU Walks through the Danforth Campus. The walk starts at 1 p.m. in front of Graham Chapel. For more information, email Betsy Foy at email@example.com. Bring your own bottle of water.
Also, from 1-3 p.m. the Athletic Complex and Tao Tennis Center will be open for swimming, working out, tennis, running on the outdoor track, and other activities.
The day culminates with a presentation of trophies and drawings for prizes at 3:30 p.m. in Bowles Plaza. Previous years’ offerings have included Cardinals baseball tickets, restaurant gift cards, and complimentary stays at local hotels, among a variety of other exciting prizes.
Free Ted Drewes frozen custard will be offered during the presentation.
“A great deal of time and effort is put into the organizing and implementing of this event by the Staff Day Committee and the Office of Human Resources,” Prenatt says.
“All of that work is worth it when we see the smiles of those receiving service awards, colleagues enjoying the competitions and staff members just out having a fun afternoon.”